Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Steps to a finished cake...

Have you ever considered how much work goes into a custom cake? Not the kind of cake you get at a grocery store, but an honest to goodness custom cake where the recipient is considered in every step. Their likes, personality, and style?

So my niece is turning 2. Her party is scheduled for April 4th, and she LOVES LOVES LOVES Mickey Mouse. She's a girl and girls need a little pink, so I'm doing Mickey and Minnie to make the cake more feminine.

Tonight I started prepping for this cake. It took me 2 hours for these two heads. Crazy huh! But detail is important and I've never sculpted Mickey or Minnie before. I had a print out of about 9 different photos of the two of them at different angles so I could try and get it right.

The step by step on this one should be fun. It will take a little time though so keep checking back on the progress.

Here's what I have so far.

No comments: