Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Lion, a Monkey, & Bear... OH MY!


If you've hung around my blog for any length of time, you know I'm drawn to "cute" stuff. So this cake was right up my alley. The relatively simple although time consuming design was perfect compliment to the cute little critters that graced the top of the cake. The inspiration came from the party decorations and the little man's bedroom. The actual design of the animals was a combination of my imagination and some pictures I found online.


Please tell me I'm not the only one that finds these little critters adorable. Especially since I'm the one that sculpted them. I just love how precious they are and how sweet the little giraffe looks.


This is the smash cake (cake specifically for the 1 year old to "smash" as is tradition in most of the US) with a 1 and a little monkey on top. I'm particularly drawn to the expression on the monkey's face. It's almost as if he knows what the little hand coming toward him is about to do.


The bottom border of the cakes have these vertical stripes that were cut into 1" strips. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although it was somewhat time consuming. I cut up the leftover strips of fondant to use as confetti.

In the end, I was able to deliver the cakes to a very happy mother who gave me a hug and said she would see me for Birthday #2. Success!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now this is too cute!! The figures look awesome!!