Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Meet Meaghan and Mr. Melty!

Back in the winter of 2008 I saw a cookie on the Cake Central Website (Mr. Melty above) and fell in love. true to form, if I see something I like, I use it as a launch pad for creativity.

So, using what I saw as inspiration, made those cookies and brought them to Christmas parties and gave them out to my nieces and nephews for Christmas. I used a marshmallow because a ball of fondant didn't sound appetizing to me but I could just picture kids eating the marshmallow off the top of the cookie. I did post pictures of them on my blog, but they weren't all that impressive and nobody really paid any attention.
Fast forward to 2009 and I decided to make those cookies again. They turned out soooo cute this time and when I posted them, there was quite a fuss. Everyone wanted to know how I got the marshmallow on and made it look like it was also melting. After receiving an over abundance of e-mails, private messages, and comments, I decided that rather than sending one message at a time explaining the process, it would be easier to put together a tutorial showing how I made them.

It took off and my marshmallow headed snowman cookie has gone bonkers all over the internet. BUT if you will remember, I mentioned at the very beginning that I originally saw a cookie that inspired all of this. At the time, I was not aware who the creator was, that she had a blog, or that she had a tutorial for the original. Had I known all of that, I may have handled things differently.

When I was made aware, I made sure to give her credit but I get the feeling that nobody really reads that part of the tutorial because the comments keep coming back about "how clever" I am. Maybe you are all referring to the marshmallow... But I really think that it's important for you to recognize that I'm not really all that clever. *wink*

Meet Meaghan...

...of The Decorated Cookie
. Your Mr. Melty was ingenious! Such an adorably clever idea and one that has created a most adorable cookie craze. I have never had a cookie or treat strike a creative chord in me like he did. In fact, I get the impression that there are LOTS of ladies out there that feel the same way I do. So thank you for giving me the desire to whip out the royal icing and have some winter cookie fun.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Devon said...

Mr. Melty is very cute... but I have to say, I like the one with the marshmallow way better - something about the way it actually looks like it's melting is the clincher. It's the perfect twist to make it your own unique design!

I like the piped attire too, rather than the green balls. They remind me of peas! LOL