Today was most definitely a day full of sparkle. I'm thrilled with the results and even more excited about how easy it is to make edible sugar gems once you get enough practice. On the down side, I've got 4 burns and two blisters.
I keep hearing in my head the things people would tell me when I'd say I want to learn sugar work... Specifically, all the warnings about sugar burns. The silly things we do when we are determined.
Leaving the dripping cup (I used small mugs and ramekins) too close to your hand is a BAD idea. I'd bump it with my finger, burning hot sugar would promptly adhere and BURN BURN BURN! One lesson learned, don't pick off the hot sugar with your other hand! Grab a towel! Second lesson learned, keep the cup a safe distance from your hands. Third lesson learned, use little plastic medicine cups to fill the molds.
Now my mind is racing with ideas for the applications of all these beauties now that I don't have to pay $7.50 plus shipping for 10 little gems.