Friday, August 13, 2010

Today I built a car...

A 1966 Chevy Chevelle to be exact. The car is carved from two half sheet pound cakes with a layer of chocolate ganache between.



It always amazes me how much cake I have to bake in order to get down to the final product. But it does look cool! The bride asked that the car be black with white stripes and that the couples names appear on the license plate.

The fun part for me comes after the cake is carved and crumb coated. That is when I'm able to start building up the detail work on the car. One layer at a time. It's at this stage that I'm able to add all the little things that differentiate one car from another.



I've often been asked for instructions on how I build my cars and trucks. Honestly... I don't have any. I use several photographs and just keep working at it until the shape and lines match the reference enough that the car is distinguishable. And with every car I tackle, I learn something new that can help me with the next project.


Enjoy!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Jess said...

That is awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

perfect, i'm speechless

SweetThingsTO said...

Perfect dimensions of the car! Great lines!

Anonymous said...

thats a 1972 chevelle ss with a 1970 grille and head light bezzels.

Unknown said...

It is a 70 Chevelle with 71-72 tail lights awesome cake though I want one!!