Friday, May 27, 2011

Natural Sunglight and Some Quality Photo Editing Software!

A friend of mine is always commenting on how much she wishes she had a room in her house with a BIG picture window that faces east. Why does she want this? Probably because that's the room I use for my cake photos. She comments on how well lit they are with just natural light and no flash. And while she is right, what she is seeing isn't the whole story. So today, I thought I'd share the raw photos vs. the "adjusted" photo.


Obviously there is a big difference between the two photos and you can easily see why good photo editing software is a big help. I use Photoshop CS2 with the onOne Software Plug In. If you do a little research on those programs, you'll probably wonder why in the world I have such powerful software just to edit cake photos. But my life before cake involved a lot of graphic design work and Photo Editing. In fact, I designed several Wedding Albums for my father. So I spent hours upon hours in Photoshop editing photos and creating layouts.


So the moral of this post is this; If you have photograph envy, think about investing in some photo editing software. Photoshop has a program called Photoshop Elements that is simpler that the professional version and much less expensive. You might also want to consider purchasing a "how to" book or watching some online tutorials so you can maximize its effectiveness.

And of course, you do want to take advantage of natural light! I never use a flash and always try to use indirect natural light. You don't want the sunshine directly on your subject. But rather a diffuse light that can light up the area without creating lots of shadows.

Happy Baking, Caking, and Photo Taking!


Photobucket

No comments: