Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pretty Pillows for a Princess

Never before have I attempted a pillow cake. But most of my cakes are that way. I've been caking for 2 years and five months now. So it's not unusual at all that I get a request for something challenging that I've never attempted. Sometimes, I'm honestly a little intimidated by the requests, sometimes excited, but always confidant that one way or another, the request will be filled.

I will say that there have been times when it included tears, frustration, and extra baking. And sometimes, I've even had to learn a couple of things that hard way. But thankfully, I've learned a lot and my clients have been happy.

So this weekends challenge was a three tier pillow cake. The thing that amazes me the most about these cakes is that the corners of the pillow don't just collapse! I mean.. It's cake! And yet, somehow... these cakes work. Thankfully Cake Central (one of my favorite cake resources)had a tutorial on pillow cakes. Of which I took full advantage!


I learned a lot. Will definitely do a few things differently next time. But overall, I'm THRILLED with my first attempt. And the client too was thrilled. I love happy endings!

Cake Stats: Three tiers of vanilla cake. Top and bottom tier contain chocolate ganache filling. Middle tier has chocolate chip filling. The cake is iced in buttercream and covered in fondant.


I hand painted the pattern on the bottom tier and the stripe around the top cake. Then airbrushed the pillows. The tiara is made from gum paste, silver highlighter dust, and Swarovski crystals. The shoes on the cake board were purchased and provided by the client.

Photobucket

3 comments:

faithy said...

your pillow cake is awesome! the details are spectacular!

Melanie Joy said...

OMG girl I just saw a demo of this cake on a show called fabulous cakes & I must learn how 2 do this!

SweetThingsTO said...

Gorgeous pillows! Perfect