Saturday, May 1, 2010

Grave Digger Monster Truck Birthday Cake


A year ago I made a Blue Thunder Monster Truck for my oldest son's Birthday. We had such a blast making it. And of course with 2 boys in the home and Monster Jam on the television several mornings a week before school, we knew we'd have more monster trucks to build.

My youngest really enjoys Grave Digger. I'm not sure if it is the truck itself that he likes or the entertainment factor we get when we watch these guys on the track. Either way, Braden wanted Grave Digger and my husband was convinced we could do a monster truck bigger and better than last time.

It was worth every second when the little man came into the room while I was finishing up and told me his cake was "AWESOME!! And better than Garrick's cake." ha ha A little sibling rivalry...

Anyway, we had fun making it. My husband did the frame work and I did the baking, carving, and decorating. I'd say we make a pretty good team.

So... here's Garrick's Blue Thunder Monster Truck Cake from last year and here is Braden's Grave Digger Monster Truck from today.







To give it a little perspective, I'm adding a shot the photographer (my Dad, and Braden's PopPop) took of Braden with his cake.

Bob Simrak - 267-254-1085
Visit Bob Simrak Photography: http://bobsimrak.zenfolio.com/
My blog: bobsimrak.com


Photobucket

12 comments:

Cake Believe said...

That is SOME cake! Amazing work!

SweetThingsTO said...

That cake is huge! Amazing job and defying gravity too!

RobMcD said...

Awesome job. I'm about to do one for my 4yr old. How did you connect the body and wheels to ensure it was all supported?

Stacey - Truly Custom Cakery, LLC said...

If you scroll down through the photos you'll see a whole framework that was built. My husband does the carpentry for me.

RobMcD said...

Oh right so he made the frame of wood...I get it

Aliccia said...

Wow! Awesome cake!!! I was curious how did you make the green Underpart of the truck? The green frame Part under the body of the truck? What did you use for the dirt the truck is driving on? If I can pull this off my son is going to go crazy!!! Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

Do you still have the photos of the framework for this cake?

Anonymous said...

I saw your Blue Thunder cake and my son absolutely loves it... He is have a monster truck party and he wants me to attempt to do a replica of yours lol. Have one question how exactly do you blend the lightening in the truck, if you wouldnt mind helping me out with some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

anonymous said...

How much did this cost for the grave digger cake

Unknown said...

Could you please share photos of your structure? I can't find the photos and I'm curious about structure

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome Stacey! Would you be able to share the photo of the framework please. There are non on display. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You and your husband did an amazing job! My grandson would go nuts over it. He loves monster trucks and especially grave digger.