Thursday, April 15, 2010

My modeling chocolate debut... A tasty and very rewarding medium

If you are into caking, you've heard about modeling chocolate. If you watch shows like Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes, Ultimate Wedding Cakes or Food Network Challenge, you've likely seen it in action.



Why it took me so long to jump on the bandwagon, I will never know. I can speculate, but what's the point. What I do know, is that it is well worth the effort to make a batch and then create!

A client ordered a 1st Birthday Cake for her son for this weekend. She is doing a Regal themed event complete with the Prince's Castle. She wanted knights, prince, horse, castle... Bright and fun for her son's 1st Birthday.



Horses aren't that easy. They have spindly little legs that are very difficult to keep straight so I knew it was time to try my hand at modeling chocolate. I went to ehow.com to find out how to make it (the internet is a fantastic resource). Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.ehow.com/how_5226271_make-recipe-cake-dessert-decorating.html.



And here is the debut of my first attempt. I made white modeling chocolate and dark modeling chocolate. The white is definitely softer. Not sure why, but it worked perfectly for my knights. I'll post the castle when it's done and delivered.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Kiwicakes said...

this is amazing for a first attempt with any medium