Friday, July 25, 2008

Sarah's Birthday Cake


This is my nieces Birthday Cake. I had a lot of fun making it although the humidity gave me a run for my money! I wanted a fun cake so instead of just plopping the puppies on the cake, I had them wreaking havoc by digging into it. This is the first cake I've covered in fondant that was iced with Italian Meringue Buttercream. It's much more challenging that covering a cake that has been iced in classic buttercream. Guess I'll have to make more of these so I can get more practice!

What a wonderful reception this cake got! I'm so pleased with how much Sarah loved her cake. If I make a custom cake for my niece's or nephew's, they don't get a gift. The cake IS the gift. But it is their choice (or their parents if they are too young). When I asked Sarah if it was worth it to get a cake instead of a gift, I got a very enthusiastic "yes!".