Thursday, November 11, 2010

An adventure in Sugar!

Early this year I started playing with sugar/isomalt to make gems and other little things using molds. There is soooo much you can do with sugar and it opens up a whole new world of decorating adventures.

When a client called about getting a cake for her son's 21st Birthday, she asked for a beer bottle, shot glass, etc... I'm not sure exactly what she had in mind... BUT it doesn't get any better than an edible beer bottle that looks just like the real thing!



So I did some research and found that to buy a mold, it was REALLY expensive. So I researched how to make my own molds. In the process, I've opened up yet ANOTHER world of possibilities! I love how this industry allows for so much creativity!

Anyway... I got to work and ordered all my supplies and made a poured silicone mold of a beer bottle and a shot glass so that I could make an edible beer bottle and shot glass for this cake.

Of course it is a lot of work for ONE cake... but experience tells me that once someone knows you can do something (they've seen you do it), more people will order it! So I've no doubt I'll be making more custom beer bottles and shot glasses.

I have to thank my dear friend Suzy for venturing down this crazy path with me. We made a huge mess with our first attempts and laughed harder than I've laughed in a long time. It was somewhat expensive... but worth it for all the fun we had!

Photobucket

No comments: